Asianews

‘9275’: Joey de Leon honors TV stations of ‘Eat Bulaga’ with art

BRISBANE – Former World No. 1 Victoria Azarenka moved into the third round of the Brisbane International Tuesday, but Sofia Kenin was bundled out by Australian wildcard Arina Rodi onova.

The 34-year-old Belarusian came back from second set ji tters to see off Russia’s Anna Kalinskaya 6-1, 7-6 (10/8).

Azarenka had been in complete control early, racing to a 5-0 lead before wrapping up the first set.

A two-time winner of the Australian Open, she then got an early break in the second set and appeared to be cruising.

But Kalinskaya began to find her range as Azarenka faltered, failing to hold while servin g for the match at 5-4 and 6-5.

The tiebreak was just as dramatic, with Azarenka having five match points before getting over the line.

Kenin, also a former Australian Open winner, was stunned by Rodionova, who had a successful year on the lower-level ITF Circuit, winning seven titles and taking her ranking to a career-high 113.

She has brought the form into the season-opening tournament, beating opening round opponent Martina Trevisan before outlasting a rusty Kenin, who made 52 unforced errors in the 7-5, 7-6 (9/7) defea t.

Rodionova said playing in front of a big crowd on Pat Rafter Arena was reward for the hard work put in on the ITF Circuit.

“I think that’s the reason why I’m having so much fun out there because, as I say, I’ve done the hard work,” Rodionova said.

“I’ve played in the small cities, small tournaments where no one is watching.”

There were also upsets in the men’s draw with fifth-seeded American Sebastian Korda and Argentinian sixth seed Sebastian Baez both crashing out.

Germany’s Yannick Hanfman downed Korda 7-5, 6-4 while Baez lost to Lukas Klein, with the Slovakian qualifier winning 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Australian qualifier James Duckworth also enjoyed a good win by ousting American JJ Wolf 6-3, 6-4.

MANILA, Philippines — Comedian Joey de Leon dedicated his first painting of the year to all the TV networks that became a home to noontime show “Eat Bulaga.”

Joey shared a glimpse of the painting on his Instagram account.

“This painting is dedicated to all the TV stations we’ve been to, E for 9, A for 2, T for 7 and B for 5,” Joey wrote. 

“Thank you not only for the “New Years” but for ALL the years we’ve shared! All the best for us in 2024!” he added. 

“The complete picture… ‘9275’ a healthy and happy 2024 to all!” Joey wrote in another post. 

“Eat Bulaga” first aired on RPN-9 from 1979 to 1989, then transitioned to ABS-CBN from 1989 to 1995, before finding its home on GMA-7 from 1995 until 2023.

“EAT” is currently being broadcast on TV5, while Television and Production Exponents Inc.’s iconic show “Eat Bulaga” continues to air on GMA-7.

Recently, the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPO) canceled the trademark registration of “Eat Bulaga” by (TAPE), ruling that it was Tito Sotto, Vic Sotto and Joey who came up with the name.

The IPO’s decision released last December 5 said that TVJ have the “absolute and exclusive right to register” the “Eat Bulaga” or “EB” trademark after it found that they presented sufficient evidence that they originally coined the term, and TAPE failed to sufficiently explain its claim of ownership of the “Eat Bulaga” name.

RELATED: TVJ can use ‘Eat Bulaga’ name, TAPE must respect IPO decision — lawyer

More News

59

Bear with me. This will b

Scroll to Top