Asianews

Batang Pier trounce hapless Bossing to book quarterfinal berth

MANILA, Philippines — Four Filipino teams will be seeing action in a 3×3 bask etball competition in Singapore this weekend.

Uratex Dream and Uratex Tibay will take part in the Jumpshot 3×3 International Tournament at the Bukit Panjang Plaza in Singapore.

The Dream side will be headed by former NU Lady Bulldog Kaye Pingol, Sam Harada, Mikka Cacho and Eunique Chan.

On the other h and, Tibay will be led by Shanda Anies, Cecilia Junsay, April Siat and Ford Grajales.

In the men’s competition, Samboy de Leon, Matt Salem, Rey Telen and Xyrus Torres of TNT Triple Giga, as well as David Carlos, Kirt Jungoy, Eldridge Ocana and Myanmar’s Thiha Htin will spearhead the Kabayan Pilipinas.

The two Uratex clubs will be using the competition as a test as they are set to compete in the Manila Hustle 3×3 Season 2 in February.

Uratex Tibay will be playing in Pool A of the women’s competition.

Here, they will be facing BAS Women A and J3 of Singapore, Dinoman Hansol of Korea and Yokohama Gflow of Japan.

The Dream, meanwhile, will be in Pool B, along with BAS Women B and Regina of Singapore, CT Tigers of Thailand and Malaysia Rising Star.

The top two teams of the pool will advance to the semifinals of the tournament, with a $4,000 cash prize at stake.

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) logged a new death due to firecracker explosion and four new stray bullet inj ury (SBI) cases after the celebration of New Year. 

In a statement Friday, the health department said that a 44-year-old male died in the same blast incident, with the first casualty  a 38-year-old man from the Ilocos Region who lit a cigarette while drinking alcohol with other individuals near firecrackers.

Meanwhile, among victims of SB are a 28-year-old female from CALABARZON who s ustained a gunshot wound (GSW) to her right arm while watching fireworks; and a 22-year-old female and her 26-year-old brother from the Ilocos region who sustained GWS.

The fourth victim is a 22-year-old male from Northern Mindanao who was shot in his right arm while celebrating with his family. 

Fifteen new cases of fireworks-related injuries (FWRI) were also logged by the health department. 

On Friday, the DOH tallied a total of 600 FWRI, with 313 cases coming from the NCR.

NCR is followed by Ilocos Region with 61; CALABARZON with 49; Central Luzon with 42.

The lowest recorded number of injuries, meanwhile, are recorded in Davao Region with two; Eastern Visayas and MIMAROPA with both three cases .

The DOH said 592 injuries tallied are due to fireworks, while one case is due to Watusi ingestion and seven were due to stray bullets. Four out of 10 cases involved illegal firecrackers. 

Ninety-six percent of the FWRI cases happened at home and on the streets where 375 of the new cases involved legal fireworks.

MANILA, Philippines — St. Scholastica’s College Manila is now accepting applications from male students for its college and senior high school levels, marking a significant expansion in its student admissions. 

The school announced in a social media post on December 5 that it has opened its doors to male enrollees in all college degree programs and senior high school strands for school year 2024-2025.

Originally an all-girls institution, the school had previously accepted male applicants only in select college degree programs and in the Arts and Design track in its senior high school (SHS) program.

St. Scholastica’s College, also known as St. Scho, is a Catholic educational institution with its main campus in Manila. 

The school was founded in 1906 by the Missionary Benedictine Sisters, offering only elementary education. A year later, it started accepting high school students, and its collegiate department was established in 1920.

St. Scholastica’s College has been known as an all-girls institution, but it has in recent years begun to accept male enrollees in certain programs and year levels.

MANILA, Philippines — The NorthPort Batang Pier punched their ticket to the PBA Season 48 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals after dealing the lowly Blackwater Bossing their ninth straight defeat, 106-89, Friday evening at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

The Batang Pier used the middle quarters to pull away from the already-ran Bossing.

NorthPort had a one-point lead at the end of the first frame, 18-17.

And with the Bossing leading by three, 28-25, at the 5:37 mark of the second quarter, the Batang Pier finished the frame with a 20-7 run capped by a layup by Joshua Munzon with four seconds remaining in the first half.

NorthPort sustained the momentum the rest of the way, growing its to as much as 24 points, 80-56, with a 3-pointer by Kris Rosales at the three-minute mark of the third quarter.

Since then, the Batang Pier never looked back.

Former first overall pick Munzon led Northport with 20 points, four rebounds and four assists.

Import Venky Jois added 19 markers and 20 boards for the Batang Pier.

Rey Suerte provided the spark for Blackwater, finishing with 20 points in 21 minutes.

NorthPort is now holding a 6-4 win-loss slate. Its last elimination game will be against Barangay Ginebra on January 7.

Blackwater, meanwhile, dropped to 1-9.

More News

Scroll to Top